Breads and cereals
"Eat plenty of cereals (including breads, rice, pasta, noodles), preferably wholegrain."
Source: Australian Dietary Guidelines for Children and Adolescents
Bread and cereal products are nutritious, cheap and easy foods to use as the base for children's lunches and snacks.
Bread and cereal foods have many health benefits for children:
- Good source of longer lasting energy for growth, work and play.
- Sustaining - they will keep a child's appetite satisfied until the next eating time.
- Provide carbohydrate for energy, protein for growth, dietary fibre for healthy bowels, vitamins and minerals for health.
Lunch box ideas
There is a large range of breads and bread products for interesting lunch box meals.
- Buy different varieties of bread (including wholegrain) for your child to try at home.
- Cut sandwiches into easy to manage sizes for smaller children.
- Try different ways of presenting sandwiches - see ideas .
- Muffins and plain popcorn are examples of nutritious snacks.
- More ideas for the lunch box - alternatives to sandwiches , recipes