Fillings for sandwiches and bread rolls
NOTE: For fillings that are suitable to eat during pregnancy go to Lunch Box Foods in Pregnancy.
Fillings that should be kept cold
- Take a little extra care when using chicken, turkey, meat, fish, egg, cheese or milk in lunch box food.
- Fillings containing these foods must be kept cold in the lunch box.
- See Preparing lunch box food for important information about handling these foods.
- For cooked food, use within 24 hours of being cooked (chill in the fridge soon after cooking).
- For packaged foods, follow the directions and date marking on the pack.
These foods must be eaten by lunchtime on the day they are made. Any leftovers in the lunch box should be thrown out.
- Cheese, sliced tomato, lettuce, grated carrot
- Cheese + celery or sliced cucumber.
- Grated cheese+ grated carrot + lettuce.
- Cheese + pineapple (drain and pat dry) + lettuce
- Cheese and chutney.
- Cheese and vegemite
- Grated cheese + peanut paste + grated carrot
- Cottage cheese + chopped parsley + pineapple (drain and pat dry on paper towel)
- Ricotta cheese + currants or sultanas or salad vegetables
- Cottage cheese+ dates + pineapple.
- Cottage cheese, grated carrot and chopped capsicum.
- Reduced fat cream cheese + grated carrot + sultanas
- Egg and lettuce
- Boiled mashed egg and lettuce
- Egg + fresh herbs (e.g. chives, dill, mint or parsley).
- Chopped egg + cucumber + lettuce
Chicken and Turkey
Only use chicken or turkey that you know is fresh and cooked through (no pink), and has been kept in the fridge. If you have any doubts about how it has been stored, don't use it.
- Chicken + a little mayonnaise + chopped celery or parsley
- Turkey and relish
- Turkey and cranberry sauce.
- Cold meat + tomato, lettuce, grated carrot (see other salad vegetable ideas).
- Lean ham + fruit chutney.
- Ham, mustard and tomato
- Lavash bread spread with cream cheese, top with sliced roast meat and lettuce. Roll up.
- Canned salmon or tuna + a little lemon juice + lettuce.
- Tuna, pineapple and lettuce
- Tuna, lettuce and avocado (sprinkle avocado with lemon juice to stop browning).
- Wrap and freeze tuna sandwich (without lettuce) to keep the tuna aroma under control.
- Tabouli, grated carrot, cucumber, hummus (in wholemeal pita bread and rolled up)
More fillings for sandwiches and bread rolls
The following foods will taste better if they are kept cold in the lunch box.
- Salad - lettuce + sliced tomato + grated carrot + thinly sliced celery.
- Avocado (brush with lemon juice to prevent browning) + lettuce.
- Shredded lettuce + yeast extract (such as Vegemite).
- Avocado + tomato + thinly sliced celery + lettuce.
- Baked beans and lettuce.
- Baked beans + grated cheese.
Spreads and Sauces
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Low-fat mayonnaise
- Mild taco sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Reduced fat cream cheese spread.
- Cranberry sauce