Taste Bubs mainstream
The kit consists of a:
- Facilitator Manual
- Background Manual
- A2 Flipchart (a visual representation of the Powerpoint Presentation)
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Parent handout.
The Facilitator Manual, Background Manual, A2 Flipchart/Powerpoint Presentation interlinked.
- This manual is a step-by-step guide to running an introducing solids session.
- It allows facilitators to quickly and thoroughly prepare for the session with minimal impact on their existing workload.
- It ensures sessions are run consistently, focusing on the quality of product information
- The facilitator’s expertise is acknowledged. The material is provided as a guide so each facilitator can deliver the session in their own way, appropriate to the needs of the individual group.
- This session is not intended to replace one-on-one discussions about eating development issues, but it is designed to complement them.
- Key points are highlighted in BOLD, to make it easier to read and to make sure that the key messages get across.
- The facilitator manual is not a script and can be used however the facilitator feels best.
- The manual is written with the intent of creating some informal discussion time with parents
Before running a session it is essential to study the facilitator manual to discover any gaps in your knowledge.
- The background manual provides more information on the topics which are covered in the facilitator manual and flipchart
- The manual provides links to websites and background reading for those who want to go into more depth about the many facets of feeding babies and young children
- It can be read as preparation before presenting the session for the first time
- It is a useful resource when helping parents and caregivers of children who are having feeding issues
- There is an A2 flipchart, the kit also includes a Powerpoint version which you will find in the back of the facilitator manual along with the DVD
- Each slide has a page which corresponds to that particular slide in both the background and facilitator manual
- The slides focus on key phrases
- The flipchart is mostly pictorial.
- The flipchart is designed to be used as a focus point for the parents
- The DVD shows children of different ages and stages along the eating journey
- The concept for the DVD is to enhance the parents’ learning by seeing real life signs of readiness, first reactions, feeding skills development and sensitive parenting after these ideas have been introduced through flipchart and discussion.
- Parents can also prepare for their own child’s eating development while seeing the wide range of normal between children. The DVD has minimum talking, which leaves time for the facilitator to identify any point which they think may be relevant
- There are pages in the facilitator manual that provide a guide for facilitators on points to highlight for parents as the DVD is running. These include aspects of feeding skills development, sensitive parenting and social aspects of eating.
Developed from the ACT Health Department's very popular 'Milk to More' booklet , it provides a summary of the key information for the parents.