Meerilinga has been promoting positive childhoods for over 100 years in Western Australia. Since inception our focus has been on the importance of children, family, and the community and this remains the core of what Meerilinga does today. Meerilinga began as the Kindergarten Union of WA in 1911 and the Kindergarten Training College was established in 1913. In 1922 Meerilinga Kindergarten and Sub-Primary School opened at Meerilinga House, 1186 Hay Street, taking its name from the Hay Street building. The meaning of the word Meerilinga is not defined but it is thought to be derived from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island language Meeri = distant, Linga = thunder.
The Meerilinga Council Inc. began in 1985, the same year that Western Australia became a member of the Children’s Week Council of Australia with Meerilinga as the official convener. In 1989 Meerilinga Young Children’s Foundation Inc. was established with Meerilinga Council and WA Children’s Week under its charter. In 2003, Meerilinga House and property was sold and Meerilinga relocated to its current location in West Leederville in 2006.